Learning Set 1 Speed Sounds
These are the Set 1 Speed Sounds written with one letter:
m a s d t i n p g o c k u b f e l h r j v y w z x
These are the sounds written with two letters (your child will call these ‘special friends’):
sh th ch qu ng nk ck
Check if your child can read these sounds. Make sure they say sounds like ‘mmm’, not letter names like ‘em’.
Here is a video showing how to pronounce the sounds:
Learning to blend with Set 1 Speed Sounds
Your child is learning to read words containing Set 1 Speed Sounds by sound blending. For example:
Here is a video to help you to support your child to blend:
Learning Set 2 Speed Sounds
Once your child has learnt all of the set 1 sounds, we move on to the set 2 sounds. These are called digraphs (sounds with 2 letters) and trigraphs (sounds with 3 letters). Your child will call these special friends.
These are the Set 2 Speed Sounds as well as the rhymes we use to help the children to remember them:
|ay- may I play|
|ee- what can you see?|
|igh- fly high|
|ow- blow the snow|
|oo- poo at the zoo|
|ar- start the car|
|or- shut the door|
|air- that's not fair|
|ir- whirl and twirl|
|ou- shout it out|
|oy- toy to enjoy|
Here is a video to help you:
Monday 20th February
Staff Training Day
- Hair bands/bows should be red or navy.
- Please ensure school shoes are sensible and have velcro.
- Coats and wellies need to be in school please.
- Daily Reading
- Phonic Folders
- Home Learning Curriculum Activity posted on Tapestry.
- Library books can be shared throughout the week.
- Spring 1 - Winter Wonderland and All around the World.docx
- Spring 1 - Epiphany.docx
- Spring 2 - Superheroes.docx
- Spring 2 - Easter.docx